8 weeks, 8 pencils . . .

I've tried a variety of responses to students who show up to class pencil-less:

1.  Refusing to give them a pencil, so they can learn to be responsible.
(Doesn't work, and I feel like a jerk.)
2.  Providing them with a pencil.
(Pencil is usually gone for good.)
3.  Trading them for something valuable.
(Works, but it is inconvenient.)

This year, I just put out a cup of pencils for students to use as needed.


8 weeks later, I still have all the pencils I put out at the beginning of the year.

It turns out, a plastic spoon is a very affective anti-theft device.

Then I came up with a use for the forks.


(Green pens for checking bell work.)

We figured out right away that the spoon-pencil has a major design flaw:


You can't use the eraser.

So, then I really got carried away . . .


I would recommend attaching the eraser to the handle part instead . . . 
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 teach math blog is proudly powered by blogger.com